A myHT Fortress

Sunday, December 9, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day 16 - Our Christmas

In 1995, a collection of various CCM artists put together a Christmas album that is a nice addition to our library.  The disc begins with Michael W. Smith's "Reve du Noel."  ("Sing we now of Christmas; sing we all 'Noel'...")

Three tracks in is my favorite, a song I had not previously heard; "One Small Child."  David Meece sings this hauntingly beautiful song.  (I have heard others sing it since, and most do not do this song justice.)

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" is arranged on the album with a rather Jewish "sound," in the woodwinds.  This hymn has been a favorite of mine since I was around seven.

"Angels We Have Heard on High" almost has a fun, glee club/a capella sound (although it is accompanied.)  

"God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" has been another favorite of mine, as long as I can remember.  Guess I am just drawn to Rennaisance era and other Old English sounds.

I am not debating here the issue of CCM styles in other contexts.  That is not the point of this blog post.  But as a Christmas CD to simply enjoy at home or in the car, this is a nice addition.  


No comments: